The power of volunteers
Her Justice’s experienced staff attorneys provide intensive training and mentoring to volunteer attorneys from more than 80 law firms and corporations so that they can address the most basic safety concerns of families in crisis.
In addition, forensic accounting experts and investigators from several firms assist volunteer legal teams with compiling and analyzing the documentation necessary to obtain fair divisions of marital assets and support orders for our client.
Pro bono representation
Hands-on litigation and courtroom experience
Lawyers interested in developing courtroom skills can represent
individual Her Justice clients in litigated matters.
- You may choose to take
a divorce involving financial or child-related issues in Supreme Court
or an order of protection, custody/visitation or child or spousal
support matter in Family Court
Prefer not to litigate?
- Lawyers who do not seek adversarial court experiences can assist Her
Justice clients with uncontested divorces and immigration petitions for
domestic violence survivors seeking legal residency in the United
Special need for bilingual attorneys
Lawyers fluent in languages other than English and familiar with one of
the many immigrant communities in New York City can provide culturally
sensitive representation to women who cannot communicate their legal
needs to the courts in English.
Spanish-fluency is particularly valuable, as nearly 50% of our clients are Latina.
What you gain
- The satisfaction of assisting your client in obtaining a
life-altering legal outcome benefiting her and her loved ones
- The opportunity to help an individual human
being instead of the impersonal institutions that you usually
- You will become a better lawyer while familiarizing
yourself with a new area of law and practice
Enhance your professional skills
Her Justice cases give lawyers at an early stage in their legal careers professional experiences they seek, which may include:
- Client interviewing and document drafting
- Discovery and motion practice
- Adversarial hearings requiring witness preparation and delivery of oral arguments
- Direct and cross examinations of witnesses and, in rare cases, full trials
Satisfy CLE requirements
Your work for Her Justice clients allows you to meet your professional
obligation to provide pro bono assistance to those who cannot afford
- Attendance at our trainings counts toward your mandatory CLE
- Her Justice provides pro bono CLE credits for providing an
Her Justice client with direct legal representation
Learn more about our free CLE training programs